About Us & Our History
Scouting was established in the UK by Robert Baden Powell in 1907 and only a year after, in 1908, 1st Cadishead Scout Group was established.
Scouting is a charity organisation and is run locally by volunteers.
1st Cadishead Scout Group is entirely responsible for all our day to day running and fund raising. This can only be achieved through community support and contributions (monetary and voluntary). All our leaders are fully trained through the scout association and give their time each week to ensure their section runs smoothly.
1st Cadishead Scout Group was formed quite early in Scouting history – in 1908, which was a only a year after the movement was first founded by Robert Baden- Powell. Meetings were held then in St. Mary’s Church in Cadishead until sometime during the First World War when activities ceased. In 1923 the group was re-formed by Scoutmaster Duncan Muir who held meetings under a tarpaulin in his back yard until 1929, when the group bought a former reading room for their headquarters. This was relocated to Ashfield Grove (where Dorvy’s Diner now stands) by being rolled along Liverpool Road on large wooden poles.
From our archives we have a number of photos taken in 1929, which include the new headquarters, the group escorting the Rose Queen in Cadishead and a camp where we can see Scoutmaster Duncan Muir and also Miss Jones who was the first Cub Mistress.
After the death of Duncan Muir in 1946, the group was closed until January 1951 when it was re-opened by Scoutmaster Longbottom.
Our current headquarters is located by Irlam station, next to Little Monsters Mayhem and is constructed from two former wartime prisoner of war huts from a camp at Dunham Massey, purchased from the Ministry of Defence in 1951 for £125 and erected on the present site in 1953. The land was originally rented from the rail authorities but was purchased after several years of fundraising.
The headquarters were opened in 1954 by Sir John James who, in his speech, said that he hoped that “the new building would be a memorial to look back upon in years to come”
The building and land has served us well over the past 50 years and enables us to undertake a range of activities including lighting fires, outdoor cooking, pitching tents, pioneering and playing an assortment of games. We currently have approximately 60 members in the Group, both boys and girls, in Beavers, Cubs and Scouts, whose ages range from 6 to 14. The premises are also used by a local playgroup. Whilst we are fortunate to own our own land and premises, in recent years the fabric of the building has started to deteriorate and we are now fundraising again to restore the building and bring it to a standard to take us forward for another fifty years.